Reading Time: 9 Min.
Since the pandemic, we’ve steadily seen significant changes in how people consume content to obtain information. And thankfully, digital content marketing has consistently risen to the occasion by providing several enduring and innovative trends that help keep us engaged.
Although content remains embedded in marketing and advertising, people’s interests constantly shift. So, marketers will continue chasing what’s new, viral, and trendy to ensure their audience remains actively engaged online. Fortunately, we’ve discovered that the few “Tried & True” gems discussed in this blog remain the best content marketing trends.
Considering the latest trends isn’t as important as how well businesses strategize, incorporate, tailor, and present them to their targeted audiences. Thus, implementing the right content marketing trends and strategies is only effective when companies use the right:
- Platforms most suitable to their…
- Industry and…
- Audience needs and preferences.
Jump to the Seven Content Marketing Trends
Marketers and business owners consistently want to grow and drive more quality website traffic. See the latest seven trends, including the likely few “Tried & True” that are here to stay!
#1— Like emails, content marketing should be captivating and conversational.
When was the last time you read something you published? Was the content engaging and relatable, or did it cause you to become easily distracted or lost in the words? In case you haven’t noticed, people have changed a lot since the pandemic, and so have their attention spans. Most online visitors are alert and adamant about researching information before making decisions.
That’s why content should not just be a bunch of words put into digital marketing for Google to crawl for SEO. Your content should be captivating enough to keep readers searching for more. Titles, headers, videos, and visual components matter more than ever. So, be ready to invest in fun and entertaining content for social media platforms, emails, and landing pages. For example, according to Marketing Charts, nearly half of people online are more likely to share funny content than something that is important.
On top of being funny, it’s also crucial that your content has meaning and tells stories that relate to the human condition. People1 are still searching for truth, genuineness, and relatability, so ensure company values and missions are stated to build trustworthiness and help people connect to your brand.
#2— Know why and how short-form video content marketing is trending!
A short-form video is video content that is 60 seconds or less in length. Though some videos can last three minutes, creators must ensure they can captivate audiences for that duration of time to gain success. However, what’s most critical to know about short forms is that, since 2020, they’ve become the most popular content marketing trend out there!
Know the Why
- Several sources state the key reasons why short-form video is a vital trend in digital marketing:
- Over 95% of today’s consumers prefer short videos
- They currently yield the highest ROI
- TikTok now has over 1.5 billion users who watch short-form videos on its platform
- They’re more likely to go viral
- 3 out of 10 videos are likely to be watched over 80% of the way through
- Nearly 35% of marketers are likely to invest in short-form videos in the future
Know the How
My Ma always says, “If you’re going to do something, do it right!” And I heartily agree, especially when helping clients succeed in digital marketing. So, for leveraging short-form videos, see the current best practices below.
- Think of them as powerful snacks— the content is bite-sized, tasteful, and easily digested.
- Hook viewers with fascinating visuals and/or powerful screen text that lure them into clicking for more.
- Ensure the content (both visual and text) strongly connects to your audiences’ emotions and values.
- Share fun and insightful content about products, services, or people that encourage and inspire engagement.
- Elicit Action 1— give them a CTA to connect to products, services, people, or more information.
- Elicit Action 2— create fantastic short-forms that will encourage viewers to share the videos with others.
@iamlaurencompton Whatever’s in my mailbox can wait till Christmas 🎄🔥 #texasheat #mail #nottoday ♬ Funny Song – Cavendish Music
#3— Influencer and social media marketing is still the key to reach and attract Gens Y and Z!
Social media and influencer marketing are still the top platforms for reaching Gens Y and Z audiences. And with over 9 out of 10 Gen Z’ers spending roughly four hours/day on social media apps, you know those platforms are powerful marketing spaces for offering products and services.
These days, the Z Generation is also the leading consumer utilizing social media for product and service searches, purchases, and shares. In addition, they prefer to leverage social media for entertainment, connecting, and learning about products and services via videos. Top platforms include:
Even for other generations, social media remains effective for reaching and attracting them with content marketing. However, the preferred platforms and industry matches most effective for reaching a particular audience are what’s most important. For example, the top preferences for professional Baby Boomers and Gen X’ers are LinkedIn and Facebook.
#4— AI’s Impact on Content Marketing is Growing
The recent introduction and infusion of AI with digital marketing has allowed innovative marketers and businesses to engage with conversational technology for the first time. As a result, many have already begun experimenting with implementing AI into advanced systems of new content marketing strategies.
For example, ChatGPT had gained 100 million monthly subscribers within two months of its launch versus the nine months it took TikTok to reach that many active users. Yet, the key to utilizing AI is first to understand what it is and how it has evolved before implementing it with content marketing.
- Begin experimenting with ChatGPT to learn its limitations before employing it for your business.
- Use caution and supervision when implementing AI to generate marketing content.
- Use them also when incorporating AI automation into chats, voice, and customer interactions.
- Learn how AI performs and shows up on Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs).
- Proof and check all your AI-generated copy, then refine it to fit your company brand before publishing anything.
- Explore all the AI tools and applications available to learn which options will be most effective and relevant to your industry and marketing needs.
#5— Ensure your company continues to emphasize brand values in your content.
As it stands, over 8 in 10 people today prefer a company’s brand values to match theirs. But if values were changed and suddenly misaligned with specific consumer values, many customers would quickly part ways with that company. So, businesses have continued to create content that expresses their brand value proposition to ensure consumer support and overall growth.
And since 2020, there’s been an influx of people placing importance on prioritizing human values like equity, sourcing, community service, and sustainability. And they also prefer to see it play out in marketing as well, especially through their experiences with a brand.
Today’s consumers want to do more than just save money; they want to participate in something bigger than themselves. And when businesses strategically share their values through relevant content marketing, people are more inclined to spend money to support and back a company they believe is making a difference.
#6— Strategic SEO tactics are a must-have.
SEO definitely remains a “Tried & True” content marketing and strategy trend. And without it, there wouldn’t be an avenue linking online searches to website services and products. In other words, the fusion of SEO search engine technology with strategic keyword content is what attracts visitors, converts leads, and guides people to the website resources they need.
However, what’s especially changing with SEO is the steady enhanced fusion of content marketing with search behaviors through AI advancements. For example, we’ve learned the majority of today’s marketers and bloggers believe the changes in SEO will ultimately help upgrade people’s search experiences and improve website traffic.
Yet, the fact remains that marketers must continue providing highly unique, thoughtful, and meaningful content that’s most conducive to human readers. In doing so, companies learn to strategically rethink their writing and how content can best fuse with SEO, consumer search behaviors, and AI.
#7— Content marketing statistics still matter for strategic business growth.
According to a recent Business Wire statistical report, marketers project the content marketing industry to swell to nearly $585 billion by 2027. And that’s what we call astronomical growth, especially with AI as a leading change factor.
Believe it or not, people still enjoy reading, even long-form blogs. But the content MUST BE EXCEPTIONAL if marketers expect people to read more than 1500 words! Below are a few interesting statistical trends you need to know and consider while improving your content marketing efforts and growing your business.
- Speaking of long-form blogs: people are 2x as likely to read them compared to your typical ones.
- Nearly 80 percent of marketers utilize content marketing for high-quality lead generation.
- As an effective content marketing tactic, SEO is preferred by 75 percent of marketers.
- Compared to traditional marketing, digital content marketing yields a 62% savings in cost.
- Digital content marketing also produces 3-times more leads!
- An average 25% (one-fourth) of a company’s marketing budget is allocated to content marketing.
- Roughly 3 out of 10 businesses will outsource their content creation to professional firms.
- Businesses that blog regularly produce nearly 70% more leads/mo.
BONUS Trend— Consider an outsourced digital marketing partner to help drive more traffic and quality leads to your website.
Undoubtedly, the stakes are high in today’s content marketing industry, and average content just won’t do anymore. It’s now time to reset your standards and rise to the occasion by utilizing some of the trends we’ve discussed to help keep you competitive or get in the game!
As digital content continues to explode, BBMS is prepared to partner with you to develop strategies to help you create unique, relevant, and engaging content that generates leads and yields genuine results!
If you’re ready to tap into a strategic plan, drive more traffic to your website, and start benefiting from your digital marketing efforts, let’s discuss options! Connect online or call 281-203-0529 for more information on how to get started.
- Engaging business content marketing concept by Bruce Mars. Thank You!